J.P. Rothstein Mortgage Capital* - LLC
- Insider attack. Former loan officers and assistant stole sensitive data and provided to a competitor mortgage company
WHAT DATA WAS COMPROMISED?
- Income, Marital Status, and Loan Information
WHAT WERE THE CONSEQUENCES?
- Company sent this data breach notification letter to affected customers
- Company provided identity theft protection services to those who opted in
- Company retained legal counsel to advise on breach and pursue legal action against competitor
- Estimated cost: $76,100
HOW COULD ARIENTO HAVE HELPED?
A subscription from Ariento could have helped in these ways:
- Minimum privilege access control policy would have limited employee access to client database
- 24/7/365 security monitoring could have identified removal of large amount of sensitive data from company systems
- User training & awareness coupled with IT usage policy would have enabled company to pursue legal action former employees
- 24/7/365 security monitoring would have enabled company to recreate breach and understand exactly what was stolen, limiting customer notifications as well as providing legal evidence
*We have changed the name of the firm involved in this case study in order to protect their identity