BBE Partners* - Property Management Company
- Personal information of housing applicants obtained from database and posted on unauthorized website
WHAT DATA WAS COMPROMISED?
- Name, Social Security Number, Driver's License Number, Email Address, Mailing Address
WHAT WERE THE CONSEQUENCES?
- Partners sent this data breach notification letter to all clients for whom their data was obtained from database
- Partners paid for AllClearID identity protection service for one year for affected customers that opted in
- Partners paid a security consultant assist in investigation and improve cybersecurity going forward
- Estimated cost: $78,000
HOW COULD ARIENTO HAVE HELPED?
A subscription from Ariento could have helped in these ways:
- Minimum privilege access control policy wouldn't have allowed user to download malware without approval and would have limited access to company database and sensitive files
- User training & awareness would have educated user on risk of clicking links and/or downloading files and email attachments, potentially preventing incident from happening
- 24/7/365 security monitoring may have caught breach quicker, therefore limiting damage
- 24/7/365 security monitoring would have enabled recreation of data breach so as to assist in the investigation
*We have changed the name of the firm involved in this case study in order to protect their identity